Having a space heater is a great way to efficiently heat the rooms you use the most while cutting costs on your heating bill. However, there are some things you should know to safely use a space heater this season.
How to buy the perfect space heater for your home
Before you buy a space heater make sure you check to see if the rating is appropriate for your needs. There are many different kinds of space heaters, made for different size rooms. If you want to heat a large area make sure the one you buy is a heater that states that it is good for big rooms. Otherwise, the space heater will have to work harder to heat the room. On the other end, if you need to heat a small space make sure it states it is appropriate for small spaces, or else it will use a lot of energy.
Portable heater models include a variety of safety features that help take a lot of the worry out of using them. A heater equipped with a tip-over protection switch will automatically shut off if it’s tipped over for any reason. Also, cool-touch housing prevents accidental burns on the exterior.
Room heaters with overheat protection switches provide an extra layer of safety. It uses a temperature sensor, detecting when internal components become too hot. When there is an unsafe temperature detected, the switch automatically shuts off the unit to prevent overheating.
How to Safely Use a Space Heater
- Inspect heaters for cracked or broken plugs or loose connections before each use. If frayed, worn or damaged, do not use the heater.
- Never leave a space heater unattended. Turn it off when you’re leaving a room or going to sleep, and don’t let pets or children play too close to a space heater.
- Proper placement of space heaters is critical. Keep heaters at least three feet away from anything that can burn, including papers, clothing, and rugs.
- Locate space heaters out of high traffic areas and doorways where they may pose a tripping hazard.
- Plug space heaters directly into a wall outlet. Do not use an extension cord or power strip, which could overheat and result in a fire. Do not plug any other electrical devices into the same outlet as the heater.
- Always unplug and safely store the heater when it is not in use.
Here is a list of The Top 10 Safest Space Heaters of 2019
Check out last weeks article: 10 Candle Safety Tips
By: L.DiBartolomeo 11/12/19