While cooking for the holidays it is easy to want to throw your dog a scrap of food that you are making. But, have you ever stopped to consider if that piece of food is safe for your pup to eat?

These are the top 10 holiday foods that could make your dog sick.

Chocolate

Most people know that chocolate is very toxic for dogs and could lead to death if they consume it in large quantities. Keep anything that contains chocolate away from your dog.

Select types of nuts

Nuts are high in fat and could contain toxins that can give your dog an upset stomach or other health problems. However, macadamia nuts in particular, even very small amounts is very toxic for your furry friend. Giving your dog macadamia nuts could lead to vomiting, tremors, paralysis, rapid heartbeat, and other problems.

Onions, garlic, and chives

Onions, garlic, and chives all go hand in hand and very common in most foods. In any form fresh, cooked, or dry these 3 items can lead to damaged blood cells and anemia. It is best to try and avoid feeding your pet a lot of food with these ingredients.

Poultry Bones

While cooking poultry bones, they become dehydrated and brittle. If your furry friend eats them, the bones could splinter and puncture his/her intestates. To avoid your dog getting a piece of bone make sure to monitor the bird you are carving closely and dispose of all bones once the carving is done.

Dairy

Dairy is never good for dogs. From milk to cheese it may cause an upset stomach for your dog and even a possible allergic reaction. Keep your dog away from these items.

Nutmeg

When a dog consumes nutmeg in large amounts it is toxic. It may cause hallucinations, stomach pains, and even seizures. It is best to not give your dog anything that contains nutmeg.

Cinnamon

Cinnamon is one of the most common holiday dessert ingredients found in anything from pies to cookies. A small amount of cinnamon will not harm your dog, like nutmeg. However, if they consume a lot they may vomit. If your dog gets a container of cinnamon, they may have inhaled the powder and you should see a vet immediately.

Raisins and grapes

Fruitcakes are one of the most common holiday foods containing grapes or raisins. Giving your dog this fruit, even in small amounts, could cause rapid kidney failure. Don’t give your pup foods containing grapes or raisins in it.

Sugarless gums and candies containing xylitol

This is a sweetener that is toxic to dogs. Xylitol causes a life-threating drop in blood sugar and liver failure.

Alcohol

Everyone knows the effects of alcohol in humans, but most people don’t understand that those effects are intensified greatly in your dogs. Due to their small size and lack of tolerance even a small amount of alcohol could be very toxic for your pup. If your dog gets into a drink watch for staggering, decreased reflexes, and slowing of respiratory rate. A dog consuming alcohol could lead to cardiac arrest and even death so make sure your drinks around out of reach of your furry friend.

Now you are probably thinking “Well these foods are everywhere during the holidays! What kinds of treats could I give my dog?”. You could feed your pup foods like green beans (plain), pumpkin, peas, carrots, corn (off the cob), and berries. If you are ever unsure about what foods are pet safe you can always look it up on google or call your vet to be sure!

 

Check out more articles here!

By: L. DiBartolomeo 12/23/19