fbpx
Everyone has a few bad habits that they do that could cause detrimental harm to your home. You may not even know what you are doing could lead to a house fire. Here are 8 common habits people do that could lead to a house fire.

Careless use of candles

According to the National Fire Protection Association, roughly 8,700 residential fires happen every year because of the careless use of candles.  Furthermore, three out of five candle fires happen because the candle was left too close to something that could easily burn such as bedding, curtains, or furniture. Also, leaving candles lit while you are in a different room may seem harmless. However, it can be very dangerous and could potentially lead to a house fire.

Learn proper candle safety.

 

Clogged dryer lint screen and dryer vent

Clogged dryer vents and lint screens can overheat, and the hot lint and dust could start on fire. According to the National Fire Protection Association, almost 17,000 home fires are caused by clothes dryers. The leading cause of these dryer fires? Clogged dryer vents. Click here to learn how to properly clean your dryer vents.

 

Leaving electronics on a bed/ couch

We have all heard the stories of a bed starting on fire in the middle of the night because someone left their phone charging on their bed while they slept. You figure that could never happen to you, but it can. If you leave your electronics charging on a soft surface it can overheat and cause a fire to start. To prevent this leave your electronics on a hard surface to charge.

Incorrect use of space heater

Using a space heater wrong won’t just drive up your electric bill. Leaving a space heater too close to furniture or using a space heater in a room that is too large could leave to it overheating and starting a fire. Other things like using a space heater that has loose wires, plugging it into an extension cord, or leaving it to run all night could also lead to a fire. Learn how to buy the right space heater for your home and how to safely use a space heater.

 

Overloading an outlet with an extension cord

Extension cords are meant for temporary use for things like decorations. Many people use them as a permanent solution for not having enough outlets. If you find yourself using extension cords to compensate for not having enough electrical outlets you should hire an electrician to add more outlets to your home. When buying an extension cord make sure to buy one that has a surge protector in it. If you are using it outside, make sure the box has a “W” on it or it indicates it is safe for outdoor use.

 

Not cleaning out your chimney

You might think the only reason to get your chimney cleaning is to make sure Santa’s suit stays clean, but there is a much more important reason to clean it. There can be a lot of debris in your chimney that you can not see that could catch on fire. To avoid starting a house fire your chimney should be cleaned and inspected by a professional every year.

 

Leaving heated appliances on

“Did I turn off the curling iron?” most women know the feeling of panic when that thought runs across their minds. It is a common accident that could have catastrophic consequences for your home. Hair curlers/ straighteners, heating pads, heated blankets, and irons are all potential fire hazards if left on and unattended. But there is something all of these items have in common. These items come in versions that turn off automatically after a certain amount of time. If you do not already have these items with that feature- go out and buy one that does.

 

Not paying attention when cooking

Everyone cooks so most people do not see it as a dangerous thing to do, but it can be if you are not paying attention. To prevent a kitchen fire, you should take the proper precautions such as staying in the kitchen, keep flammable items away from the stove, keeping kids out of the kitchen, and using the right cooking oil. Learn about smoking points for oil here.

 

By: Lauren DiBartolomeo

October 9, 2020

Learn how to protect your home in case of a house fire: Umbrella Insurance: What is it and what does it cover?